About

Assorted Music for Atheists

I frequently post music of all sorts on my Facebook page and would now like to have one long compilation post including various genres and artists. If you know of some songs that would fit in this post, please feel free to leave them in the comments section.



After Forever, a Dutch symphonic metal band, began a series of songs called "The Embrace that Smothers" that deals with the dangers of organized religion. Once the male vocalist, Mark Jansen, left the band and joined Epica, Epica picked up and concluded the series.



The lyrics of this song are part of a common rosary prayer. 'Mea Culpa,' a Latin phrase, means 'my fault.' The prayer, translated from Latin to English, is

"Oh my Jesus, dismiss our debts/guilts
save us from the fire below, lead to heaven
all souls, especially those,
who need your mercy the most

As it was in the beginning,
is now, and ever shall be, forever
and ever "

The series of songs repeats the theme of guilt that religious believers admit of. The 'cure,' to this guilt, of course, is devotion to Jesus (in the Christian tradition, at least) and prayer.

"Leaden Legacy" focuses on indoctrination and blind obedience to authority that is often the case within religious traditions.

Doomed to wander in repressed emotions
This imaginary refuge restrains me from awakening

Fear of penance
Doomed to sycophancy

Doomed to sycophancy...

Those who change religions or go from denomination to denomination, are not progressing, but rather are fooled into thinking that faiths are much different.

Those who separate and join the opposite
do not see that that will get them nowhere
Can't you understand it is a similar manipulation
Wake up and see the light



"Follow in the Cry" conveys a message that religions operate on fear, power, and threats.

Fear is the doom, doom of us all
Instead of exterminating the weed
We allow it to overgrow our function

I embrace you, accept my soul
I shall make my life subordinate to you
Live like your rules and laws prescribe
and follow you wherever I go

Hang this heretic who's indulged in unchaste thoughts
Silence him such as the laws of the vellums prescribe
Pusillanimous massacres the order of the day
On behalf of power-hungry fundamentalists

Religious leaders might seem interested in saving souls and helping people, but many are really concerned with power.

Behind your facade hides an indomitable
lust for power and tyranny
Taking advantage of your pendencies



"Yield to Temptation" conveys a message that religion is harmful. Greed and self-denial cause the destruction of the truth.

The anathema's driving millions
together in the pustules of our earth
Greed and self-denial the cause of
unimpeded desecration of the truth

Indoctrination is another harmful aspect of religion

Captive in the shackles of this indoctrination
depraved souls wished to be pure
Delight in deformity the last convulsions
are building up a bridge to a new era
The assumption of a faded supposition
Never shall I be a marionette !




Cry for the Moon is largely about the rape and torture of children at the hands of Catholic priests.

Virginity has been stolen at very young ages
And the extinguisher loses its immunity
Morbid abuse of power in the garden of eden
Where the apple gets a youthful face

The song also conveys the message that religion is in opposition to common sense and that the stories within holy books are fairytales.

Follow your common sense
You cannot hide yourself
behind a fairytale forever and ever
Only by revealing the whole truth can we disclose
The soul of this bulwark forever and ever
Forever and ever

While religious leaders teach people to be moral individuals, they often are hypocrites.

Indoctrinated minds so very often
Contain sick thoughts
And commit most of the evil they preach against

Don't try to convince me with messages from God
You accuse us of sins committed by yourselves
It's easy to condemn without looking in the mirror
Behind the scenes opens reality

The voices of many abused children are often not heard and justice is very hard or impossible to attain. Religion is no cover for bad behavior.

Eternal silence cries out for justice
Forgiveness is not for sale
Nor is the will to forget

You can't go on hiding yourself
Behind old fashioned fairytales
And keep washing your hands in innocence


"Facade of Reality" has a very strong anti-religious message and contends that religion was created by people because of fear of death, want for power, and a justification for murder.

People created religious inventions
To give their lives a glimmer of hope
And to ease their fear of dying
And people created religious intentions
Only to feel superior and to have a license to kill

People created religious inventions
To give their lives a glimmer of hope
And to ease their fear of dying
And people created religious ascensions
To subject the others and to enslave, just to further enrich themselves



The song was written after 9/11 and because of 9/11 to address Islamic extremism.

It doesn't matter where we die
It doesn't matter that you cry
We will take you with us

Our desire to die is stronger
Than all your desire for life
There is no getting away from it now
Only true faith survives

Segments from a Tony Blair speech were used in this song.

This mass terrorism is the new evil
in our world today
For those people who lost their lives
on 11 September and those that mourn them;
now is the time for the strength to build
that community.
Let that be their memorial



The end of the song notes that religion is a "disgrace on the beyond that can never be undone" and perhaps poses a challenge for people to 'unmask' religion.

A disgrace on the beyond
That can never be undone
Who shall rise and unveil
The Facade of Reality?


We can either deceive ourselves by accepting the promises that religion has to offer or enrich ourselves by deciding for ourselves (and presumably not being a member of any religion).

Deceive yourself by yielding
to soft words that cause no pain
Enrich yourself with different views
Learned without disdain
Deceive yourself by yielding to soft words
Enrich yourself by making up your own mind




"Seif al Din" as an Arabic phrase meaning "sword of faith." This song, like "Facade of Reality," focuses on Islam.

The origin of a dogma
Placed in a new millennium
Vilified demons have been embraced
And given a warm welcome

Islam, the song says, is long standing as has little chance to go away. People, though, interpret the words of the Quran to gain power and exploit. Many have been misled by Islam and have believed falsehoods.

The Seif al Din
Hasn't got the ghost of a chance to rust
Because it has always been kept in shape
In serving the one Almighty

The rudiments have always been misinterpreted during history,
despite the good intentions of many disciples whose faithful belief was strong and unswayed.
Most leaders interpret the old words to their advantage in the attempt of gaining leadership and power
over those unfortunate enough to fall under their maliciousness and manipulative ways.
This misuse of trust will forever stain the pages of history,
echoing the exploitation and the frailty of decent
men carried away by nurtured rancour...

Perpetual distrust fed by a belief
In the malevolence of the others


The song ends with a great simple verse:

When beautiful unreality holds out its hand
It's better not to lose yourself in blind faith




"Death of a Dream" is a song about a religious person who discovered that she has been manipulated and lied to by religion.

I followed your rules
A willing fool
Branded by shame

My soul suffers from your hostile ways
I bear so many scars, hit me hard
Time to change we have to rearrange
For this has gone too far, way too far

Religious leaders restrict believers from worldly pleasures by interpreting verses in their favor.

Creating new laws and living by unwritten rules
Restricting us
Creating new spins on ancient creed to fit your views
Denying us


The song sends a strong message that religion breeds ignorance and is dishonest.

You created this world
Where honesty is not allowed
You created this world
Where ignorance is being taught

You created this world
Where I am all, you'll never be
You've been drilling these
Such falsely-based philosophies in me

You created yourself
Based on nothing else but lies
You created yourself
Where all your aspiration died


Once the person in the song finds that her beliefs lacked merit and there is no good reason to believe in any gods, she breaks from from religion and continues living.

The curtain has fallen
There's no one behind
Corrected one mistake
But I am still around

Our fight is over
My scars will leave a stain
You thought that it was all easy
But I will still remain

Your time is over
I'm taking what's mine
You thought that you could keep me
Under your thumb and mind





"Living a Lie" sends a strong message against prayer and religion.

Hope is a desert running dry
Deep inside
You refuse to face the facts
But pray for life
Find salvations in distress
We will wait
For the day you’ll break out and
Re-awake
And we wait for the day
To discover there’s no way
I can't wait at this rate
It’s too little and too late
To live this lie




"Fools of Damnation" is a song that casts religious believers as subservient fools to God.

You do believe, so let us pray
For all those fools that be

Fool
Dance with me again
I am your destiny
Mark my words, don't you ever disagree

Fool
Kneel for me again
I am your agony
Walk my way, I will never set you free

Kneel for me unknowing fool
Bow to the supremacy
Kneel for me unworthy pig
Die for the divinity

The song echoes the idea that religion is the opiate for the masses.

Believing is the cure
Religion is like opium
You'd better feed them all
Before they start eating you




"The Truth Beneath the Rose" is a song about the crusades in which a believer, the singer of the song, admits being fooled by leaders who endorsed holy wars.

Give me strength to face the truth
The doubt within my soul
No longer I can justify
The bloodshed in his name

I believed it would justify the means
It had a hold over me
Blinded to see
The cruelty of the beast
Here is the darkest side of me
(Forgive me my sins)
The veil of my dreams
Deceived all I have seen
Forgive me for what I have been
(Forgive me my sins)
Pray for me 'cause I have lost my faith in holy wars
Is paradise denied to me 'cause I can't take no more?


Killing can't save people and religious reasons can't justify holy wars.

I'm hoping, I'm praying
I won't get lost between two worlds
For all I've seen,
The truth lies in between
Give me the strength to face the wrong that I have done
Now that I know
The darkest side of me
How can blood be your salvation
And justify the pain
That we have caused throughout the times
Will I learn what's truly sacred
Will I redeem my soul
Will truth set me free




"Safeguard to Paradise" is a song about Islamic suicide bombers who have been deceived by leaders into thinking that suicide bombing is virtuous.

It’s the truth between his cunning lips
That hands him his suspicious alibis
Persuading with your force will never be the way
To our destiny

Suddenly we’ve lost the force
To close our cursed doors
No one seems to realise
That wolves are in disguise

Many virgins wait for him to come
Persuading with your force will never be the way
To our destiny
Our destiny



"And When He Falleth" is a song mainly about the problem of evil that features audible spoken words from "The Masque of the Red Death"

Some Lyrics and the spoken words:

"'Tis the Divine Comedy -
"'Tis the Divine Tragedy -
The fool and the mocking court;
The fool and the mocking court;
Fool, kneel now, and ring thy bells!
Fool, kneel now, and ring thy bells!
We hold the Earth fro Heaven away."
Make us guffaw at thy futile follies,
Yet for our blunders - Oh, in shame;
Earth beareth no balm for mistakes -
We hold the Earth fro Hell away."


[Male Voice]
That cross you wear around your neck;
is it only a decoration, or are you a
true Christian believer?

[Female Voice]
Yes, I believe - truly.

Then I want you to remove it at once!
- and never to wear it within this castle
again! Do you know how a falcon is trained my
dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily
she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until
her will is submerged and she learns to serve -
as your God taught and blinded you with
crosses.

You had me take off my cross because it
offended....

It offended no-one. No - it simply appears
to me to be discourteous to... to wear
the symbol of a deity long dead.
My ancestors tried to find it. And to open
the door that seperates us from our Creator.

But you need no doors to find God.
If you believe....

Believe?! If you believe you are...gullible.
Can you look around this world and believe
in the goodness of a god who rules it?
Famine, Pestilence, War, Disease and Death!
They rule this world.

There is also love and life and hope.

Very little hope I assure you. No. If a god
of love and life ever did exist...he is long
since dead. Someone...something rules in his
place.

[sung:]
"Believe? In a deity long dead? -
I would rather be a pagan suckléd in creeds outworn;
Whith faärytales fill'd up in head;
Thoughts of the Book stillborn."

"Shadow of annoyance -
Ne'er come hither!
...And when He falleth, He falleth like Lucifer,
Ne'er to ascend again..."




This song is about religious leaders who deflect blame from their own actions by using God as a justification for their behavior.

"God Said," from its own description, is "a satirical strike at religious zealots and extremists."



The title of this song is pretty self-explanatory.



"Extian" is a song that challenges religious supernatural claims and strikes at the hypocrisy of religious leaders.



"Stockholm Syndrome" sends a message that religion is imprisonment and also challenges the morality of religion.



"Rational Response" challenges frequent arguments levied by religious believers and contains an amazing refutation-rap to Pascal's Wager.



"Dear God" features several persons asking questions and making directly to God, but they can't believe.



"Ten Foot Cock and a Few Hundred Virgins" is a "song about anal sex and God."



"Hard Believer" sends a message that the Bible is not needed for one to have a successful, fulfilled life and morality need not be explained by religion.